Monday, February 17, 2020

Dubai, London, Paris and Panguitch!

Between Jim being in Dubai for a month, being snow/mud/rained out of getting up the hill to the cabin, and a quick trip to London/Paris, our efforts regarding the cabin have been seriously thwarted!  But, we have managed to find a few decorating things - now, it's just trying to get back to the cabin and get working!

If I didn't lead with this picture, I would really be remiss...  It has absolutely nothing to do with the cabin or the blog..  I just really like this picture!  This has been an item in my bucket list for years and years and years... this was an amazing day an amazing trip and an amazing adventure...shared with an amazing man...

Image may contain: one or more people and outdoor

While Jim was gone, I found this little table.... It's made of teak and I loved the interesting design.  As I told Jim, I'm not quite sure were I am going to put it, but, I'm sure it will look fantastic where it goes! It stands about 3' tall and is about 3' in diameter.  It's too tall and wide for an end table... I'm going to have to think about this one...



When Jim was in Dubai, he visited a rug store... wanted to purchase a rug for the loft in the cabin.  He found one that he really liked, but getting it shipped back to the US was problematic... So, he started looking within the US and he found this one.  The picture does not do it justice - the colours are so bright and vibrant.  I love it.  There's a little history behind this type of rug, and I've included it.  It's an interesting read!  Enjoy.  I believe this rug is going to go up in the loft next to the bed where there isn't a whole lot of foot traffic!

Joshagan Oriental Rugs

Joshagan oriental rugs have been woven continuously for centuries by the people of the Persian village of Joshagan (also spelled Joshigan, Josheghan, Joshegan-e-Qali, Djaushegen). It is believed that as early as the 17th century, during the golden years of rug weaving of the Safavid era, Joshagan rugs were woven for export. Joshagan is located in north central Iran, just north of the city of Isfahan. Its location on an early important trading road leading South from Kashan to Isfahan, made it a principal market center. When Tehran became the capital of Iran in 1788, the road from Tehran to Isfahan became more important than the road from Kashan to Isfahan. The road from Tehran bypasses Joshagan and runs through nearby Mehmeh (Meimeh, Mei Mei, Maymeh). Mehmeh then became the dominant trading center in the region, superseding Joshagan. The design of Joshagan rugs has remained relatively unchanged for centuries and is fairly easy to identify. The most common pattern of the rug is a diamond-shaped central medallion on a deep red field filled with geometric shaped floral motifs that can resemble snowflakes or pebbles. Four-petal flowers are often found within the medallion.


While in France, we visited Normandy, and specifically Juno Beach where the Canadian army (Queen's Own Rifles) came ashore on D-Day.  We took a whole day to tour the region and it was such an amazing experience.  I learned a whole lot about Canadian history, and the sacrifices that were made on that day.  The story of Juno Beach is amazing.  It was super cold and extremely windy on our tour day, but, it was so worth it.  I suggest that anybody going to France take the time and enjoy a Normandy tour.  We specifically took the Canadian/Normandy tour because... we're Canadian..


When we were leaving, Eric the guide, asked if I wanted some of the stones off the Juno Beach and I was thrilled.  I picked up four pieces and I am going to work them into the mosaic I am making that will go around the Jacuzzi and outdoor shower area at the cabin.... I don't know what kind of rock these are, and one is even in question if it is rock, but, they came from the Juno Beach and I am thrilled to get them.



When we were clearing immigration and customs at the EuroStar train station, the customs officer scanned our luggage and found the four rocks.  He pulled them out and he questioned where they were from.. I told him, and he immediately started scanning google on his phone.  He came back and said that anybody who removes rock from the beaches at Normandy,  will be fined $10,000 per rock... we had four pieces...  um.. $40,000 fine.  He said that the law was you can't remove the rock because it is a historical site, and it erodes the beach when you remove the rocks.  I told him that I had absolutely no idea, that it was the guide's suggestion... I told him we were Canadian and that's why we were at Juno, and my father was a soldier of the Queen's Own Rifles, and on and on and on.. I finally told him to take back the rocks... he finally just told me to take the rocks, and he'd forget about it...  I was totally relieved and thrilled.. Jim was saying that if it wasn't for the soldiers at Juno Beach and the 4 other beaches, this guy would be speaking German right now, instead of French, so he totally should give us a couple of rocks!!  Giggle... I agreed with Jim...(Plus, I was having a stroke thinking I would be fined $40,000 for four rocks... Very, very expensive rock!)

Back in Utah, I found these two milk cans...  I thought they were so interesting and beautiful.  I think I want to put them outside the sliding doors down stairs... They have an elegance that I really like.. like from a time gone by.


A friend of mine contacted me about this room divider.  I had been looking for one to put in the upstairs loft.  The loft is open and you can see everything up there from the main level... So, I wanted a little something to give a tiny bit of privacy, and this fit the bill.  I am not sure if I am going to pull the finish off or leave it as is...  I'm up in the air about this one.  As the time to use it gets a little closer, I'll have to decide, but for now, I'm just thrilled to have it... Jim looked at it and told me that it's really pretty, but it won't cover much up, if you're going to change your clothes behind it.. But, I can try changing my clothes behind it and he'll let me know how it works out...  giggle.. such a man..



A friend of mine posted on Facebook that everything looks good on a silver platter.  When we were in London, we went through Portobello Road Market.  It was pouring rain the whole time, but we stopped into a little antique shop and picked this beauty up.  It has an amazing charm all on it's own.. I need to get some cleaner and spruce her up a little bit, but, I think she will be beautiful and yes, I think anything will look amazing on it.




At the same store, I found these little cat salt and pepper shakers... I was looking for something that was cat related for Coy.. he's a little obsessed with cats...  So, this is not going into the cabin, but, it was Portobello Road Market related.. I gave them to Coy and he was incredibly stoked...



What's funny about the cat picture, is that it is on top of Gordon Ramsay's Pub Food cookbook...  But, you can see a little piece of his face peeking out from around the one cat.. kinda creepy, but it makes me laugh.. I didn't notice it when I took the picture.


I found a kiln in Salt Lake City that I thought might be nice at the cabin for the kids to try their hand at ceramics..  I took a class in ceramics 100 years ago at BYU.. And, I thought I was doing pretty good until the teacher told me that I needed to cut my nails, if I wanted to be successful at ceramics..  Um.. seriously?  That was like asking me to cut my ears off..  So, I withdrew from the class at that point.. But, it was fun while I was in there..  I hope one of the grand kids gets the urge to create!


I found this door knocker online.. it's old and unique and different, and just the kind of thing that I look for.. I am not sure where we are going to put it.. Jim and I both agree that it's really cool.




And, this is another interesting piece I found.  It's supposed to be a bacon press, or a steak press, or something along those lines. I know exactly where this is going to be used.




This shelf interested me.. it's handmade, and the hangers are made from antique door handles.   I loved the look of the door knobs..



This is a candle holder, and with a long taper candle burning inside it I think it will look amazing in the Jacuzzi area.... I am wanting that area to have the warm glow of candle light in the evenings...


I have been collecting antique milk cans and this one came up for sale. Being that we were just in Paris, I had to have it.  It's not as heavy as I like, but I think it will make a perfect garbage can in the kitchen with its wide opening, and will always remind me of our trip to Paris.


I found these set of dishes and thought they would be perfect in the kid's area downstairs.  I love Snoopy and his cheeky attitude... and I'm sure they will be a welcome addition to the downstairs kitchen.



Before Jim went to Dubai, he was saying that he wanted to find a small antique Japanese cleaver.. I don't remember why he wanted one, but he did.. So, while he was gone, I started searching and I found this little beauty... It identifies as being from Japan, but we can't find any other information on it.  Any ideas?  It's only about 6 inches long from end to end.


When we were in London at the street market, we found these drawer pulls..  only two... but, they are pretty...



And, today, this pink haired beauty had brain surgery... she finally had the tumor removed.. it's been a long, painful journey... unfortunately, the doctors have told her that it's going to be worse before it gets better, and after the sedation from the surgery wore off, that statement was true.  She was in so much pain and the hospital just couldn't get her pain under control.. After several hours, the meds kicked in and she is now getting a little much needed rest.  Lowell, her significant other, is such a blessing.  He has proved to be kind, and gentle to not just Brianne, but to Coy, and is a constant support and companion.  I could not ask for anyone better for Brianne and Coy.  He is a blessing... So, when ever you remember Brianne and Coy in your prayers or good wishes or whom ever and whatever you talk to, remember Lowell also...


Image may contain: Bri Myers, sitting

Coy was at Primary Children's on Monday... his nissan has failed and he is having terrible reflux..  I sat up with him on Monday night as he suffered from intense reflux and a cough from the cold he had and missing his mom... poor little guy.. he is supposed to be having more tests to figure out what else they can do besides his 26th surgery...  sigh..

It's been a busy month or so..  I think I need a nap...

But, even so, it's been such a memorable and exciting time... the adventure continues.

Jim and Cheri


Addition:  Brianne had her surgery and is recooperating nicely...  trying to control pain is the big issue...
Image may contain: one or more people and closeup

I'll keep everyone updated.

Cheri

No comments:

Post a Comment