Sunday, December 19, 2021

.... still moving foward.... very slowly...

Well, we haven't been able to do a whole lot of work at the cabin these past couple of weeks... it seems we've been under a winter storm alert, with piles and piles of feet of snow dumped on the mountain... and it makes it a little impossible to drive the truck up the hill... even with four wheel drive...  But, we've been doing other little things that are necessary, so that's good...  

Jim started figuring how many bricks we would need to cover the patio area floor...he calculated and calculated and came up with a number... and, then I reminded him of the pallet load of brick that is still in our backyard and it threw the whole calculation off...  go figure... The bottom line is, we have enough to do the patio and jacuzzi area, and to build the pizza oven.. and then some...  Our trailer is still in  Coalville being filled with one last load also...  The narrative below, is Jim's calculations......



"OK, from the measurements I found that I took of the patio area, without the hot tub area we need 36 layers of bricks.  From this photo I can count at least 39 layers and that’s before we got the bricks from the torn down house.

So, estimating the hot tub area needing maybe 8 layers and the torn down house bricks as being 4 layers and the next load from Coalville being 6 layers I think we have more than enough bricks to cover the whole patio area. 

Mark this phase of the cabin building as completed."


On my travels on Saturday, I found this iron dinner bell. Sounds like a metal triangle thing they have on ranches or a chow wagon...... a little unusual, but I really got a kick out of it.. These are usually in a triangle, but the heart shape was more my style.  Jim told me that we'll put in on the deck, and when I have lunch or dinner ready, I'll have to clang the heart, and he'll come running..  I like that idea.


And, a week ago, we found the cutest store in Orem...(just a couple of miles from our house in Provo...)  I can't quite remember what it's called, but, it's a country type store.. and it has, I swear, the best ice cream ever (BYU Creamery)... We got a treat last week, and went back again last night when we got back from Salt Lake.  Last week, Jim found this little mat, and we thought we would put it by the jacuzzi.  I think it's totally appropriate.  It's about 2 feet wide...


We were in  Costco last weekend, and I saw these sheepskin rugs... I really like them and thought it would be perfect...  As we were picking one out, we had the most inappropriate conversation with a completely anonymous couple... never saw them before in our lives.. younger couple...  They told us what they do with their sheepskin rug in front of the fireplace... told us we should try it...  Um..  seriously.. what's the comeback to this?  After I unstuck my eyelashes, all I could come up with was "If we got down on the floor, on this rug, we've had to call the paramedics to get up standing again..."  It was an educational conversation.... with strangers... Either way, we bought the rug and we're going to enjoy it, no matter what it's purpose is.


It was cold in the house this morning, and when I got up, Jim said that he covered up with the sheepskin and it kept him super warm... I'm encouraged by this update.

We have really amazing neighbours up on the mountain.  They are from Henderson, which is in the Las Vegas area and they are wonderful... (except for the fact that they are Vegas Knights fans.... and, I thought the mountain was Leaf's territory.... hmmmm....) Giggle... They sent us this picture of the mountain a week ago from their security cameras...  As you can see, it's kind of intense..



As always, and even in the snow, the adventure continues...

Love, Jim and Cheri




No comments:

Post a Comment