Thursday, May 5, 2022

Pain is temporary, but the cabin lasts forever....

 Jim has spent the last couple of weekends at the cabin, and every once in a while, he sends me a picture that I find unsettling... This was last week's entry... and, he prefaced the picture with the saying, "Pain is temporary... but the cabin is forever"... I've had my share of sliced fingers during this process, and I can attest to the fact that cut fingers don't feel good...  sigh..


Jim has been working on projects that will make my life easier when I'm at the cabin.  A couple of weeks ago, he got the cooktop installed, and last week, he got the sink installed.  He initially cut the hole for the stove a little short, but ran out of time before he had to come home, so the project this past weekend, was to increase the size of the hole, and then place the stove... I absolutely love it.  He does amazing work.


One other major project that was tackled, was putting in the camera security system.  Jim wanted it to be viewed on a flat screen AND on his cell phone.  This picture shows two of the 8 cameras that will be around the house.  I believe they got the first 5 cameras installed... I know, this will make me feel a whole lot safer.. AND, we'll be able to see those stupid deers, and racoons and bobcats/ cougars come up to the front door...


This is what is shown on the flat screen...


And, a 2nd view.. I think it almost looks like a lunar landing... But, it's actually the jacuzzi area.



And, Jim and Ben are still working on the area where the jacuzzi is going in.. They have been working leveling dirt, and putting retaining wall blocks in.  I am waiting for the retaining wall blocks to be finished so that Brianne and I can start laying brick in the patio area...  (BTW... Brianne... yes, you are scheduled to help lay brick... giggle..)


We are coming up to the final phase of building the hearth... The rock mason is going to show up on Monday morning to place and stack the rocks and mortar them in.  We are very impressed with this guy.. He's got lots of experience, but he has given us some ideas how to make the heath really impressive.  He suggested putting a couple of lights behind the rock going up the wall.  Jim had already put lights behind two of the rocks that are close to the floor... And, it looks beautiful.  The rock is so opaque, that light shine easily through them..  So, Jim started the process by cutting a hole in the upper part so that the first light will fit....  I believe we are going to have two lights on the left side, and one on the right... I am really liking this idea.



And I found this gem on one of the Facebook marketplace sites... It's original home was in Duck Creek, but it's going to love it's new home in Bryce.  It really needs a good washing, but Jim suggested we clean it, and then sand it down, and repaint it.  I liked the idea of having the whole family around where you can actually talk without straining to see the person at the end of the table...  When I sent Jim the picture, he didn't even ask me where I was going to put it!  Giggle.


Well, that's it for this week... this coming week, the rest of the security system goes in, the jacuzzi area gets levelled and stone put in - getting all ready for the jacuzzi to be delivered, and the hearth gets completed.  I am stoked.

Until then, the adventure continues...

Love, Jim and Cheri


No comments:

Post a Comment