Tuesday, June 27, 2023

...JUST ANOTHER WEEK OF WORK....

 


I think this is one of my all time favourite pictures of the cabin...  This part of the deck is completed, and Jim got the lights around the windows and door installed... AND, fired up! He had the lights installed last week, I believe, but the electrics weren't going to them to power them up, until this past weekend...  I think it looks so beautiful... Jim wanted to take a picture at sundown so the lights would really show...and, he nailed it. There's some absolutely beautiful work going on here.

The balcony off the loft went in a couple of weeks ago, and Jim and Ben got the lights installed and the electrics is powered up also!  


Here's a closer show of the lights.


I bought this little set of chairs and a table about a year ago.  I always picture a little set like this out on the balcony... to sit in the morning, and have some breakfast or read the newspaper, first thing in the morning... or something along those lines.  I know my brothers are laughing right about now, because I just don't do mornings... So, I should say, I am envisioning "brunch" sitting here...  



Several years ago, we purchased some 100 year old, solid oak antique doors from an old school that was being torn down in Provo.  I really wanted these doors to go on the main level hallway... The brass lettering on the original doors had been taken off, and I tried to find exact duplicates, but couldn't find any.  So, I had these made.  Jim got the sign on the girls bathroom door put on this past weekend.  A matching door will be on the closet beside this bathroom and it will say "BOYS" .. We have a third door, it will be the bedroom door in the hallway... We are trying to decide what sign to have made for the bedroom door... Jim and I were thinking something along the lines of, "FACULTY" or "TEACHERS LOUNGE" or "STAFF"... what 'cha think?



I have this idea for the floor in front of the hearth... Code says if you have wood floors, and a wood burning stove, you have to have so many feet of ceramic tile in front of it.. just in case sparks fly out of the stove and catch the floors on fire.  We have ceramic tile that looks like wood that we are wanting in that area to match the patchwork floor that we are going to install... But, instead of a square section in front of the hearth, I want a semi circle of ceramic.  I bought some cement board as underlayment for the ceramics, and sent it with Jim.  He laid it all out with the cement board under the ceramics and the wood floors next to it, so we could see how they would all fit together.  We found out that the ceramics and the cement board is too tall to blend in with the wood... So, we had to go to plan B.  You can see in this picture, that the ceramics is a little too tall for the wood...


But, this is kind of what I want it to look like...  I want a patchwork look to the wood floors... It's a little busy, but I think we can tone it down with area rugs and really neutral furniture.


The solution to our problem...  Expanded metal...I went out on Sunday afternoon and purchased the expanded metal to get ready for this next weekend... I drive a Kia Soul, but this stuff fit in the back of it just perfectly.  I have fit a tandem bike in the Kia, so I didn't have any doubt this would fit easily...



In my travels on Saturday, I found this cookie jar and I thought it was perfect for the cabin.  I was telling Jim about it, and got a loud groan from him.. I then sent him a picture, and he agreed with me... it's perfect for the cabin... The bear wearing Canadian red and black plaid, holding a rainbow trout... Perfect!  And, so cute!  We are one of those couples who always have to have cookies in the kitchen.  The cookie jar we have in the kitchen in Provo was a wedding gift from years and years and years ago - actually, 45 years ago...... My friend, Lynn gave me a set of canisters, and the flour, sugar and cookie canisters have survived!  I am still going to use them, but, I have had to have the bear.


Jim is working to get the  Four-Way inspection done in the next couple of weeks...  The Four Way includes, electrical, plumbing, furnace/heating and construction...  We have already had the inspection on the plumbing and the construction, and the furnace is installed, but we are still working on the duct work... And, the last little bit of electrical is being completed.  

Here's the ceiling fan that is going in the loft.  For the four way, we have to run the electrical wires, and put whatever fixture in place... so, even though we don't have sheet rock installed, we have to put up things like can lights, and ceiling fans... There is one more ceiling fan to go in and that's in the great room... We have cathedral ceilings (23 feet from the floor to the bottom of the ridge beam) and Jim says we are going to have to put up scaffolding to get it installed.  I know this is not one of his favourite things.. He doesn't want to be like Michaelangelo working on the Sistine Chapel - laying near the ceiling on scaffolding, on his back...go figure.  I told him I thought he should have Ben do the job because he does all this hiking, and rappelling stuff...  Giggle... 



I think it looks pretty cool...  My job this week is to find some ceiling fan blades that I like... Jim always says, "Cheri loves to go shopping", so this is my area of expertise.



Jim deconstructed one part of the wall out in the kitchen preparing for the refrigerator to go in.  The refrigerator has been hanging out in the basement, but we are just about ready for it to have a change of scenery.  It's getting a little old going down a couple of sets of stairs just to get to the refrigerator...  My knees just don't want to co-operate.  (On a side note, I have my third of three Euflexxa shots tomorrow morning, so I should be rockin' for another six months after this one... It's an excited/not excited kind of moment...).


I had some cedar planters made for the deck... I want some plants/greenery on the deck just to make it feel a little more homey.  I am thinking lavender, but, don't know what I'm going to end up with... 


On the subject of greenery, I purchased a couple of Red Maple trees to go beside my Aspens in front of the jacuzzi.  I bought two trees and they are about 2 - 3 feet tall right now...  I named them "Moose" and "Maple"...  I hope they like the elevation, and hope the stupid deer don't like Canadians... The internet said that Red Maples are not a favourite of deer.... Sure hope not.

This is the smaller tree... named "Moose".


Here's the larger tree named "Maple".. I know..... I have a flair for the original...



We were in Calfornia last week, and we stopped at a Burger King for a quick bite to eat... it was late at night, and we drove to the airport straight from work, so we were a little hungry... As we were driving up, we saw "Pepe Le Pew" running along side the building... and, plastered up to the side of the building was a Burger King employee.  If it were me, I would have been freaking just having a skunk run beside me...The employee didn't move... not an inch...  The next night, Jim and I were walking to our 5th wheel, and again, saw a skunk running down the road... We pulled a Burger King employee trick and froze..  I have never seen skunks in California before.. I am sure they are there, but usually we are in really populated areas, and they seem to be more in wooded areas.  Then, the next morning, I was cooking breakfast, and from the back of our trailer, and to the side of the trailer, there was a grey fox running...  I called to Jim to take a look, and he was quick enough to see the fox... (My calling to Jim entails me saying...  "Quick, quick, quick.. take a look" very loud.... but, Jim caught the drift!).  I have not seen any skunks or foxes at the cabin, however... We have seen coyotes, lots of those stupid deer, and cougars - in fact, one rude cougar pee'd on our front door...  sigh...  cabin life.

The summer adventure is ramping up... I believe this summer is going to be amazing.

Love, Jim and Cheri


"Life is fluid, not a solid.  It changes. Be ready for it"






 

No comments:

Post a Comment