Monday, November 30, 2020

... SMALL WINDOW OF OPPORTUNITY

We had something really unusual happen on the way to the cabin this week... It was a Friday night, and we stopped in Spanish Fork to get a bite before getting on the road... we didn't get driving as soon as we had liked, but were making the best of it.  We went through a drive-thru and as we pulled up to the window to get our food, the guy in the window said, "The car in front of you paid for your food.."  What???  We have NEVER had it paid forward for us and we were super surprised..  Such a nice gesture and made us smile...  So, when we got to Panguitch, I bought a bag of groceries for their local food bank, just to pay it forward Cheri and Jim style.  Now, with this being my birthday week, this is what I would like... pay it forward to someone you can actually see... doesn't matter where or who..  make a donation to the food bank, buy a sandwich for someone standing in line behind you, sweep snow off someone's walkway, give a flower to someone who looks sad, buy an ice cream for a kid who is crying.. doesn't matter what, just do something out of the ordinary...  it feels great to give, and wonderfully surprising to receive. 

As usual, our welcoming party at the cabin consisted of Bessie and Bossie... After working in the College of  BioAg at BYU for years, I still can't tell the difference... so this might be Bessie and Bossie, but it might be Bert and Ernie also.. All I know, is these bovines seem to own the road and stare at us, every time we show up.  Giggle.


The main project this weekend, was to dig out more of the septic hole so that the 1/2 inch gravel, (not pee gravel) can be put in the bottom and the septic tank set.  This was a little bit of a challenge because when Jim measured the depth and width, he found that instead of being too shallow, he was too deep and had to replace some of the dirt, add the gravel and then level it out.  This was a challenge, as the side of the pit wasn't frozen dirt, it was rock.  So, it was eventually,  back working with the back hoe. 


Jim first of all got the pipe out from the house to the inset running downhill aligned, but, didn't much like crawling into the pit to really check it out.  Quite frankly, I don't blame him... Here's a guy who just had knee replacement surgery and he's climbing up and down a 12 foot ladder... not pleasant.


Jim always seems to have an interesting job at the cabin, and I kind of just sit there with little to nothing to do... So, before we went this time, we decided that I would start working on the hearth.  I was really excited for this, and it's a lot like piecing together stained glass - so, I really was really enjoying this.  I had read a little bit about doing this kind of rock work, but have absolutely no experience, so, I'm running kind of blind.

The hearth had been kind of a catch all for building materials, so I figured the first thing to do was to clean and sweep it down...check


All nice and clean, now we needed to bring the rock over that had been stored on the steps going upstairs to the loft...  check check


Next, we trip and fall and start bleeding... hey.. when was this part of the script?  Whether it was in the script or not, this impromptu chapter turned into a reality.  I tripped on the side side of the loft stairs and took a header...  After a huge crash that could be heard outside the cabin, (which brought Jim running) the first thing I did was check my nails.. I was convinced I had broken a couple - but, upon inspection, nothing was broken.  Big relief... But, my fingers were cut and bleeding, and my knees are now black and blue.  What was interesting, is that I fell on the insulin pump that is inserted at my shoulder - it didn't get smashed, but the skin around and under the pump is bruised...  So, I guess it could have been worse - saved by the pump!!


After Dr. James M. Streeter came to the rescue, I was good as new (with a couple of ibuprofen to ease the pain of my shoulders and knee, and my wounded pride) I was back at work.  Jim thought I should be taken to the hospital, but my stubbornness kicked into overdrive...


This was my job hereafter... stapling down the wire mesh that holds the mortar and rock into place...


..and, here's Jim, adding sparks to my heart... Ok, it wasn't to my heart, but he was cutting the wire mesh so I could staple it down.  I was just thrilled that he didn't cut off a finger, or I didn't staple my foot to the hearth.. now, that would have been a story!  I have never worked with an air powered staple gun before, and, it's pretty intense. . . I like air tools!


...all mesh up and stapled into place.... on the side...


and bottom...


..and the rock has been set into place.  It takes a little bit of juggling to get everything to fit.  We thought we had just about enough cut rock to fill the hearth, but we were considerably short.  Jim is going to have to cut a bunch more for this weekend to finish it off.


We are putting three inch thick, cut rock on the flat surface of the hearth, and the uncut rock up the sides.  I am really thrilled how it's turning out.  This picture makes the rock look pinkish, but it is actually more yellow... We believe the rock to be honey quartz... and it has a very subtle, creamy colour to it.  


We did buy another drink rack for the jacuzzi area this past week... We travelled down to the cabin with it, sans the three pieces of glass, but, you can kind of get the gist of what it looks like.


One of the projects we wanted to complete by the end of the year, was to clean out and close out one of the storage buildings that we had building materials in...
  


This is what Jim pulled out today - the granite for the bathrooms..   This first piece, I believe is going into the main floor bathroom...


...and, this piece, is going into the loft bathroom... this green piece is my favourite.  I showed it to my boss today, and he said it kind of looked like a road map... and, I think with the white cabinets, this green is going to look fabulous.. it's more green than the photo appears.


The rest of the counters in the main level kitchen and the downstairs kitchen is black with a little bit of a fleck to it.  And, right now, those pieces are being stored outside the side door of our house in Provo!.. and, to answer your question... we did get the storage building totally emptied out!  Now, only four more to go.  This was the biggest of all of them.  

And, on our way home, we saw the most amazing moon over Bryce Canyon.  This picture just does not do it justice - it was absolutely beautiful.... there were cars stopped up and down the road taking pictures... a sight I would like to always remember.


We are quickly losing our window of opportunity to work here.... last year, we were snowed out by October, but Mother Nature is giving us a little break this year.  We are hoping to get the septic tank delivered (December 11)  and the water running to the house before it snows like crazy... here's to crossing our fingers.

Well, stay safe, stay healthy, and on to another amazing adventure.

Love, Jim and Cheri

No comments:

Post a Comment