Monday, March 25, 2024

In Case You Don't Remember... I HATE SNOW!

 This edition started the beginning of March... and, at that time, this is what Bryce Woodlands looked like.  And, thank goodness for my neighbour who sends pictures... otherwise, there would be nadda... It looks so calm and peaceful... and cold... so cold....


We've had several snowstorms blow in this month... some worse than others... and, it was pretty much the same in Provo... We checked our cameras, and it snowed a little bit today... not a lot... but, it also snowed in Provo this morning, and the temperature dropped, so, I guess, all of Utah is in a little bit of a cold funk right now.



Changing the subject before I forget... - Jim and I went to see "One Life" on Friday night.... what an amazing story.  It takes place in Czechoslovakia just before Hitler invaded... One man, Nicholas Winton (a stockbroker) was part of a program to remove children from Prague, and send them to England.  The movie shows that he saved 669 children by moving them.  As I was watching the movie, it hit me that Jim had two uncles who were moved from Scotland to Canada during this same time period.  It was a very emotional exchange between the two of us, as we both realized the anguish and sorrow the children's mother's endured just to save their children.  I personally don't know if I could have done it.  The mothers didn't have any idea if they would see their children again - and the majority of them died in concentration camps.  Jim's uncles were sent to Toronto and stayed for the rest of their teen years with a single mother whose children were already grown and gone (Olive) whom they didn't know, but were treated very, very well.  Both attended University of Toronto and had amazing careers because of this woman's generosity.  The sacrifices that were made were unimaginable.  The movie made the whole process very, very real.  I encourage you to find where it is showing, and see it.

... Back to cabin stuff....One of the very first things we are going to tackle when we get back to the cabin is working on insulating... So, we've been buying insulation and putting it in our storage.  We still have quite a bit at the cabin, but we know we are going to need more... So, the bales are piling up and we are just waiting, waiting, waiting to start working again.


This is what we did on Sunday afternoon.... pack the van and drive the insulation (and the bullfrog) over to storage.... we were running out of room at the house!  And, it was so freakin' cold, it was a really quick, quick, quick trip! The frog has been sitting to the front of our house and every morning I "ribbit" to it.. Jim thinks I'm crazy, but it makes me laugh.


This past week, I found these two window frames, and I absolutely love them.  Jim has them leaned up against each other, but they are actually two separate frames.  My plan is to mosaic them with gradiated colour from light at the top to dark at the bottom.  I am not sure where I am going to put them when I am done, but I am thinking somewhere around the jacuzzi.  I absolutely fell in love with these pieces... I need to do a little preservation work on them - they haven't been treated nicely in the past, and a little restoration work needs to be done... None the less, they are like two beautiful old ladies who just need a little pampering.


This is what the coloured pieces will look like behind the wood frames.... I think it's going to look fabulous.


On Saturday, I found these cabinet pulls.. I've been looking for something like this for several years now, and I found 17 of them.  I am still totally in love with wrought iron, and these little leaves are going to find a home in the main level bathroom.  If we have any left over, I am thinking the remaining few will go on the cabinet in the bathroom downstairs.  Something about wrought iron just speaks to me.  I think I must have been married to a blacksmith in another life... (ok, that's a joke...)


And, I found these wrought iron napkin holders.  I don't know when I will ever use them on a dinner table, but I love the look.


Brad and Brea made it through the hockey season in Alaska, and they played the Parents/Player game on Friday night.  Jim and I watched it online, and it was an absolute blast to watch them play.  We were first of all at dinner... watching the game... then in the grocery store... watching the game... and then at home... watching the game... Technology is amazing!  Brea is a solid little player and we enjoy her enthusiasm.  Brad is such a supportive parents... couldn't ask for a better dad.  This is Brad's first year playing drop in hockey, and he's enjoying it, although, I think his body is not having as much fun!  Giggle.

Great pictures and great fun!  I wonder who won this faceoff?


So cute.  Brea always has such a positive attitude and a great smile!  She's so pretty...


It was so nice to see the parents give each player their own time and space to take a shot at the goal - without any interference.  Some parents just stood back and waited and others took a knee... Here's our Brea, doing her thing!


At the end of the game, Brad pulled Brea's jersey over her head - having a little sparring match on the ice.  I don't think she quite liked it when her tummy hit the ice and she didn't have the jersey to insulate her... giggle... It's all part of the game!  I think Brad was just waiting for an opportunity to spar with Brea... I am sure she loved it.

And, here's the team... So much fun!



Jim has got into an organizing kick... he purchased a box with all little compartments for screws and stuff, but found that the little lids were always falling off.  So, he found a better solution and it seems to be working out really well..



I don't have a clue what half this stuff is.


And, yes... I bought another chicken for the kitchen... Jim just groans and rolls his eyes at this point, but I thought this one was so freakin' cute, I couldn't resist!  Go with me on this one!!



This picture was taken Palm Sunday by my neighbour, Kelly.  We still are not able to get up the hill, and hoping by the end of April, beginning of May, the road will be clear enough, and not too muddy to get to the cabin.


Right now, it just looks... cold.


The scenery is so pretty... but again, it's cold... I was telling Jim this past week, that I am not really looking forward to him going to work at the cabin... it's still too cold for me to spend days there, without the furnace running, and I really enjoy weekends with him... So, these past 5 months have been really nice.


And, our firstborn grandchild turned 13 this month... 13???  When the freak did this happen?  Such a pretty baby....


And, such an amazing, pretty, sweet teenager! We agreed that she is just 3 years old because I just can't be that much older than when she was born... giggle... (I still can't believe it)... What an exciting time for her... the whole world is at her fingertips...


And, this month, I've decided to end this edition with a giggle.  My son says this type of activity should be called, "Slap Shot" instead of skeet shooting... I agree... truly made me laugh...



On that note, we end this edition - and the adventure continues...  
Love, Jim and Cheri

"Everyone wants a magical solution to their problems, but everyone refuses to believe in magic."


No comments:

Post a Comment