Whenever we make a trip to the cabin, we are met by Jim's entourage - he is definitely the deer whisperer - they love him! They share treats - actually, he gives them treats, and they enthusiastically eat! This time, one of the deer kissed his hand - I guess he really is the emperor! There is a mum and a dad and baby that come by regularly... they're usually waiting for Jim first thing in the morning, and they are the last ones we see when we leave the mountain. I'm still pretty ticked off that the deer ate all my flower bulbs... I'm still waiting for an apology - I know, don't hold your breath!
And, along with the deer, we are regularly visited by squirrels and chipmunks. (Fun Fact - a group of chipmunks is called a scurry...) We have one really big, fat squirrel who is constantly running up and down our deck...He usually stops by the open door, peeks in, and then high tails it off the deck... I'm sure one of his chipmunk friends told him that I accidentally pulled the tail off a chipmunk once... not a great memory!
And, the last post I had, I put the pictures of three of the four grandchildren in their Canada Day shirts... One was missing because she couldn't find the picture. Well, here it is! And, our Brea is so pretty. I am thrilled I got the picture... Better late than never!
See... just a little bit to go!

I saw this shirt and just had to get it for Jim... He keeps telling me he wants to catch a fish, have it stuffed and mount it on our bedroom wall.. This is about as close to having a fish in the cabin as I want to get!
If you look closely, you can see a faint red line... Well, the boards to the floor aren't quite straight, so Jim had to run a laser line so the wood can be cut and the next piece fitted properly. The way it was, as you can see, the next piece would not fit tightly. Jim ran the laser line, and then trimmed off the excess... so smart. That's why I married him.
Here's the other side of the deck....
And, I didn't take this one either. Thank goodness for facebook and I can steal the pictures from the neighbours...
So, now you can see the stove AND the oven set. It really looks pretty in the kitchen. We have black granite for the counter tops so I think the combination will look amazing.
And, here's another little project we have been working on. It was years and years ago, we saw that a 100 year old school in south Provo was being torn down and some of the pieces and parts were being salvaged. We picked up three old fashioned doors and thought they might look interesting in the cabin. This past week, the 2nd of the three doors was installed... After a little refinishing, this turned into our main level bedroom door. I think it's beautiful.

I saw this shirt and just had to get it for Jim... He keeps telling me he wants to catch a fish, have it stuffed and mount it on our bedroom wall.. This is about as close to having a fish in the cabin as I want to get!
If you look closely, you can see a faint red line... Well, the boards to the floor aren't quite straight, so Jim had to run a laser line so the wood can be cut and the next piece fitted properly. The way it was, as you can see, the next piece would not fit tightly. Jim ran the laser line, and then trimmed off the excess... so smart. That's why I married him.
And, here's a couple of updated pictures off the deck. The trees are so green against the beautiful blue backdrop of the sky. I was totally impressed.
My neighbour (actually, down the road and around the bend) took this picture... The sky really is beautiful!
This is what the side of the cabin looks like with half of the septic system dug out. We got shut down last fall because the county said we were taking too long building, so we had to reapply for the permit, and of course pay another fee. I wasn't particularly happy about it, but we are just finishing up the paperwork and will be sending it in tomorrow. Hopefully, the county will get on the program, approve the application and we can move forward. But, for now, there's just a whole lot of trenching dug out!
I was unpacking boxes and I found this little doorknocker in one of the boxes. I showed it to Jim and he gave me... "the look". I asked him to put it by the door at the front of the cabin. Reluctantly, he obliged and when I checked it, this is what I saw. He indeed put it by the front of the door... wasn't attached TO the door, but it was by the front door. It wasn't quite what I asked for, but I guess, close enough for now. Made me laugh. All I can say is that my Jim has a different sense of humour....
Ben has been having a little issue with one of his elbows, so working on the ceiling in the great room was not really possible, so the guys were planeing more wood for when his elbow feels better. (Is PLANEING the correct spelling even?) Everything is set up on the deck and brought into the cabin, so they are ready whenever.
As you can see in the background, everything is beautiful and green!
And, we have been collecting wood flooring for the great room. I want a kind of a patchwork quilt look to the floor and that requires different colours and types of wood. It's all real wood, but different types. This past weekend, Jim took the measurements for the room, and we had to start sorting out the different types, first of all so we knew what we had of each type, and 2nd to see if we had enough wood to complete the floor.. Well, we do have enough wood - actually, we have more than is needed, but now we need to make a grid to plan out each piece and colour. It's a little complicated - but Jim put it all in excel so we have everything ready to go. We need to purchase a little more of the light coloured flooring - we have lots of medium and dark, but we are a little lacking in the light department. I don't envy Jim in planning the grid - But, this is how we started figuring out what we had.... this first picture is Hickory...
...these next four boxes are Kahlua Maple....
...and this one is Light Natural Maple... I think it's going to look amazing....
The temperature in the cabin has been extreme. The first night we stayed, it was so hot we could barely sleep. We have the furnace in, but not the air conditioning unit... that's next on the list... But, at midnight, it was 84 degrees and I thought I was going to die...
The next day, Jim rigged up the portable air conditioning unit in the bedroom, so we could get some sleep and be a little more comfortable. Jim always says that I like the house temperature subzero and it freezes him out... this wasn't quite that cool, but we slept much easier. We have decided to put an air conditioning mini split system in the loft... We think that because the loft really gets incredibly hot in the summer, that because we have an open pattern throughout the cabin, a regular air conditioning unit won't cool the loft down enough to be comfortable. So, that is going to be purchased and installed this week. It will make working on the ceiling a whole lot cooler... But, 62 degrees in the bedroom was amazing.
In the last issue, a picture of the antique looking stove was in the picture of the kitchen flooring. After several comments about the stove, I mentioned that there was an oven on the other side of the room that matched it. Well, here it is! It really is a cool set...
So, now you can see the stove AND the oven set. It really looks pretty in the kitchen. We have black granite for the counter tops so I think the combination will look amazing.
All three doors are heavy oak, but the fun part is they were originally bathroom doors. Our bedroom door was originally the boy's bathroom. The brass lettering was already removed when we bought the doors, but....
... I had a brass plate made and Jim installed it... I love it... giggle... makes me laugh.
The first door installed just across the hall, actually is a bathroom, and it used to be the girls restroom! So, it actually made it back to a bathroom!
Here's the finished installation - We still have the finish work to complete, but, we have a bedroom door!! The 3rd door will be between the bedroom and the bathroom, and it will be the laundry room door. I think I got a nameplate that says, "STAFF" on it. I think my sense of humour is starting to imitate Jim's... Should I be concerned?
Well, that's it for this week... We are moving forward- slowly, but surely... Life is somewhat getting back to normal from a month of disaster... We are surviving... Life is definitely an adventure. Until next time..... Love, Jim and Cheri.
"Success is the ability to go from failure to failure without losing your enthusiasm." Winston Churchill
























No comments:
Post a Comment