Tuesday, June 2, 2020

.... deck... hearth... and one little booboo!

Again, don't know where to begin... everything is moving along so quickly - it's exciting!

To start out with, let's talk a little bit about the booboo... Last year, we had a little booboo with the truck and the trailer...and, the truck ended up with a little dent that only Wylie Coyote could appreciate...  Giggle...  At Christmastime, I bought Jim the Wylie Coyote decal for that little booboo, and I think it looks amazing.

  
This past weekend, the truck endured a 2nd booboo.  Jim came home and said that the truck got a little smushed and I'm still not sure what happened..  Something about Jim backing up and hitting a tree or something... not sure.. But, it doesn't look like a Wylie Coyote moment.. Maybe, it's a Moose and Squirrel situation.  I'll have to investigate more.



One of the first projects I really wanted completed this weekend was the groundwork for the hearth.  It takes a little bit of doing and Lowell was just the guy to accomplish this task.  Jim told me that after they cleared everything stored on the hearth, they had to put down a layer of fireboard and then some kind of wire mesh so that the rock will stick to it.  So, here's Lowell, putting down the fireboard.


 ..and, poof.. it's done... must have been easy...  giggle.



The next step is putting the mesh down, and then placing the rock on the hearth and up the wall and then cement it in... I think the placing the rock so that they all fit together is going to be my job, and I am totally excited.  We have that caramel coloured quartz for that project.. Jim has been cutting the rock little by little and I think, at this point, we have enough to start this job.


 The hearth job was worked on  in the afternoons when it was too hot to work outside.. BUT, in the morning, Jim and Lowell worked on finishing the overhang for the covered deck. 
 
 

Lowell had to get onto the roof via the bucket truck - he said it was an exhilarating experience.... adrenaline filled.  That's not quite what I would call it.. and, in actuality, there is no way in hell I would be up on that roof... not happening... ever.



Doesn't seem that he minds it too much...I guess in 2 weeks, Jim'll get him back up on the roof some more... It just looks mighty hot up there....



And, below, is a picture of how the cabin looks at this point...  I've had several people ask what stage it's at now, so here ya go... I think she's a beauty... I've told Jim that I want an arbor/trellis at the beginning part of the bridge, and a corresponding trellis at the top of the stairs going down to the Jacuzzi area...  And where exactly is that at, you ask?  If you look at the little bridge, the first arbor will be at that first step, and if you look to the let where the bottom of the ladder is... that's where the stairs going down to the Jacuzzi will be, and I would like a trellis right there...  Jim just kind of looks at me with that, "Seriously, Cheri" look on his face, so I am confident it will happen and look amazing... because he loves me!  Giggle..  (Jim told me a little funny the other day.. he said the meme went as follows, "My wife said she wants a kitten, but, I'm the man of the house, so we got a kitten"...  Made me laugh... Hopefully, this is how it's going to be with my trellis').



So, that's the news for this week... didn't really buy anything cool for the cabin, BUT, did make some amazing progress...

 The adventure continues...

Jim and Cheri

1 comment:

  1. It'll be exciting to see all the little projects create a finished cabin!

    ReplyDelete