Tuesday, October 11, 2022

Happy Thanksgiving from Bryce Canyon, Utah!!

HAPPY CANADIAN THANKSGIVING!  Monday was Canadian Thanksgiving, and even though Jim and I both had to work, we were thinking in terms of roast turkey, REAL mashed potato, and no pumpkin pie...  Giggle..  (Can you tell I think pumpkin pie is vile...Jim, however, loves it...)


Well, the chipmunk has been recovered.... and removed......  Um... Ben and Kelly went over to the cabin to do a little work, and they found the little beast, quite cold and not moving... in a trap that we had set weeks and weeks ago..  It's a live trap so we were planning on relocating him somewhere else... like Martha's Vineyard... But, he expired before we could release him... On the upside, I don't have to go looking for a little beast somewhere in the cabin...  sigh..

Many years ago, my brother Duane and I were walking the property where my parent's house used to be, and I came across a piece of the aluminum siding that was on the house...  I knew I wanted to do something with it, but wasn't sure, so it's hung around my house in Provo for years.  This past Christmas, Jim put together a collage of pictures from my childhood... a picture of my parents, the burn pit, the well, the house, tomato plants... and, Jim put the whole thing together.  I absolutely love it.  We don't have walls in the cabin, but this picture was hung on the main level bedroom wall beside the bed.  



I sent the picture to my younger brother, Duane, and he said that as soon as he saw the picture, his mind was flooded with "smells"... and, initially, when I saw the pictures, I did the same thing...  The smokey smell from the fire pit, the garden, family meals.. an amazing walk down memory lane.  As Duane says, in my mind, Family Is Everything... I am so thankful that Jim understands this part of my personality.

And, our trees around Bryce are continuing to show their beauty and splendor in the fall, displaying such beautiful artwork.  The colours are spectacular.



Coy and Brea are now playing hockey... Coy in Provo, Utah, and Brea in Wasilla, Alaska. Coy and Brea have been in either skating or hockey since they are 3 years old!  I always tell people that it's little Canadian maple leafs running through their veins that makes them love hockey... AND, this year, we have Ben starting hockey with the Ice Mice, in Alaska.  We are totally excited!

Coy and his family went to the Peak Ice Arena in Provo to watch a game and  Coy had his picture taken with the Mascot!  What is interesting is the Provo team was playing a team from Ogden, Utah... which is the team that Brea used to play on before her family moved!  (Provo got beat... sad face...)




Brea, on the other hand, has early morning practices... Um...  I don't know if I would be totally excited about driving to practices at zero-dark-hundred hours on a Saturday morning...


But, her family is supportive and off she goes...  Here she is on the ice, just raring to go!!!  You rock, Brea!  I'm just waiting for some pictures of Ben...  


And, I added to my collection of interesting rocks that will be filler pieces between the big stone on the walls of the outside shower.  I really thought these were interesting.  First up, rose quartz.  I love the delicate pink colour...



Next, Zebra stone.  I have never heard of this, but really like it... very different..


The guy I bought this from said it was honey onyx, but I don't think so.  Jim and I both think it's some kind of quartz - who knows.  I like the yellowy colour and think it will be amazing..



The work on the siding continues.. He got all the lower level of siding completed and, I believe, now, he has to put up scaffolding to get the upper levels...  Makes me nervous.  As Ben tells me, just don't look down and you're ok.. 




When we installed the shower downstairs, we couldn't find the shower rod - looked all over the place and it was no where to be found.  I was almost positive that I had bought one, so I was thinking I was losing it, so I bought a new one. I was so desperate for the shower curtain to go up, that we used a regular flimsy curtain rod at first...hey - it worked!  A couple of weeks later, yep, found the original shower rod that I had bought.. now I have two.. But, I was then assured I wasn't totally losing it.  Ben installed it this past week, and it's absolutely amazing... It's not a particularly pretty bathroom, being that there are no walls, but, everything works perfectly.



And, we had Ben do a little fix-it work on the roof on the covered deck.  The original builders (Jim and Lowell), didn't finish the job, and the particle board has been disintegrating little by little.  So, Ben replaced a piece of board and covered it with plastic.. Now, it just needs the metal roofing to be put on, and it's a done deal..  



...Ben had to use the boom truck to get to that part of the roof!


And, you know that piece of particle board that was put on the overhang... well, it has been stored in front of this main level bedroom window for several years..  When it was cut and put on the covered roof, it exposed the window behind it... and, after one morning without that amazing dark cover, I told Jim that I know why the deer are eating all my plants... Because, the sun comes up too freakin' early, and the deer are bored with no television or radio, so all they do is eat...  uhuh... But, Jim and I decided that we have those conveniences, and we don't want to get up at zero-dark hundred, so we had to put blinds up so we could get a little more cuddly time... without the sun GLARING through the window...  The first morning without the blinds was pretty bleak... All we had on the window to cover things up was a Barbie bed sheet obtained from the local thrift store and not much light was stopped by that light pink sheet... This is MUCH better... On top of that, we put light blocking curtains up on a real curtain rod also..  Much better...



Every morning at the cabin, Jim gets up and has a little private time on the deck... He always looks so calm and serene... maybe it's because I haven't got out of bed yet to complicate his life, or maybe it's the scenery...  I'm going with the scenery on this one...  He had one of those pesky chipmunks run right up next to him on Sunday... took one look at Jim, and ran away.. I guess Jim didn't look like he wanted to make friends...But, I love this picture of my love......







And, this is what he was looking at...


With that, another amazing adventure for the week has closed and we move forward.  Life is pretty good...


Love, Jim and Cheri


No comments:

Post a Comment