Sunday, April 26, 2020

TOTAL EXCITEMENT - FIRST WORKING WEEKEND OF THE YEAR!!

After what seems to have been a long, long, long winter, Jim with Lowell's help finally made it up the mountain to do some work!  I am so absolutely stoked.  While Lowell started working on the deck, Jim had to get the backhoe running and started working!  Here he's moving the concrete retaining wall blocks off the previously mud stuck trailer.  Jim said the weight was everything the backhoe could pick up.  Once set down the backhoe could no longer pick them up.  This is going to be an interesting project to get them all set into place.


And here's a roll of brand new carpet being unloaded!  This will be for the floor of the loft bedroom.  Gonna be nice.  (When I first saw this picture, I thought they were carrying a missile or something like that... and, I was like... what?  then Jim told me what it was...)  Giggle..




As we mentioned before, we purchased a boom/bucket truck to work on the higher parts of the cabin.  One of the projects that Jim wanted to finish before it was taken down was to make stabilizing outriggers to curtail the swaying when the boom is extended.  He got the project done on Thursday evening, and it was good to go....(seriously people.. do you actually think I wrote this paragraph about stabilizing and outriggers and curtailing...?  Just think about it....)  




Because Jim had Lowell going with him, Jim drove the boom truck down, and Lowell drove the pick-up truck and trailer loaded down to the cabin!  Totally stoked.



Jim had the need to clean out the back of the boom truck when they got to Panguitch so they stopped at the car wash to spray it all down.  The bottom of the yellow column and the floor were completely black from spilled oil and dirt build up over the years.  He knew that once the truck got to the cabin it would not change, so now was the time to do something about it.  Must be some kind of man thing to clean his tools.... I think that all this heavy equipment stuff is man kinda things.. Never in my life have I thought about buying a backhoe, or a bucket truck... nope.. not once...


Picked up a nice cast iron and wood bench this past week...... I think it will look beautiful next to the bucket truck and the backhoe...  (sarcastic smile placed right about here....).. A couple of weeks ago, I bought a kid's bench, also made of cast iron and wood, but the back panel has zoo animals on it...


Here's the trailer loaded up one more time.  This was carpet, glass storage drawers, boxes of "stuff" and a kiln for future ceramic projects.   The boxes of STUFF are my items for the cabin...  Jim usually has a different name for my STUFF...    ya.. trust me on this one..  

The kiln is under the green covered tarp...




Lowell got the job of leveling the bridge and finishing off the front part of the deck.  Well done Lowell!  The bridge was so steep at each end, that one of us kept sliding off the bridge when walking on it and off it... no bueno...  






After one day in the sun and a resulting mild sunburn Lowell took for some cover under a hoodie on the second day.


I love what he did with the blocks in front of the bridge to get it all level.  Very creative.  Jim says we'll take the dirt out and fill with a concrete pad under the front edge.  This will make it super permanent and the fan shaped retaining wall blocks will be locked into place.  I'm planning on writing my name in the wet concrete!  I think it'll turn out great when it's finished and Galt's Gulch will be retained.



There was one more picture here, and Jim removed it.. said it was not appropriate.. It was of Lowell, standing on the deck, talking on his cell phone.. I thought it was cute...

I was talking to Lowell yesterday, and he was telling me that he saw a bluejay that was such an incredible colour of blue - very intense colour...  We have seen the bluejays before, and they are indeed amazing.  We have the bluejays and woodpeckers in the area.  It's nice to be able to share the beauty of this area with someone else...



OK, this got interesting.  The first real work with the boom truck.  Measuring up the building to have corbels built.  There'll be three.  One on each corner and one under the main ridge beam.  The first picture is Jim testing the sway and seeing how sensitive the controls are.  They're sensitive apparently!



Jim doesn't like ladders or heights and I don't blame him one bit so here's the "man in the can".  Once the house is done we'll sell off the boom truck.


Lowell had to try it out also.  Why do guys do this kind of stuff?

Found a really cute shelf.  Now just where am I going to use this?  Who cares, I like it!


I found these Outdoor LED candles this past week also... We're going to use them for the patio around the Jacuzzi on the lower level. I bought these and wasn't sure exactly where I was going to put them.. When I got home, and showed them to Jim, he knew exactly where... and I agree... They stand about 3 feet tall..



And one more week of the adventure is "in the can" as they say in Hollywood.

It continues. . .


Jim & Cheri


1 comment:

  1. I will certainly be taking sunscreen next time! It was a lot of fun, and the silence was perfect!

    ReplyDelete